Tamlin Homes- Budgeting Process
Tamlin will help you budget your timber frame materials package, lock-up package, or full construction costs. Here are some tips.
- Formulate a realistic budget. Ask us for help organizing and itemizing costs
- Initially consider an overall “ballpark” budget , even if there are still many “unknowns” (such as site conditions, basement or crawl space, full or “hybrid” timber frame, etc.)
- Ask about our guaranteed home package price for materials so you don’t have to worry about cost increases by the time you are ready to build
- Review our Tamlin house package estimate which lists all materials and prefabricated components. Ask our experienced projects coordinators to explain the details to you
- Obtain construction quotations when the preliminary plans are completed
- Continue to refine your budget as design, materials, and construction costs become clearer, and include a contingency budget
- Compare the costs of the traditional way of building (especially in remote areas) to pre-planned, pre-designed, factory component prefabrication.
- Research the building construction steps so you are familiar with the “big picture” of how the smaller costs add up.
- Talk to your bank in the early stages or ask Tamlin about financing alternatives which can save you time and money.
“We never thought that we could be able to afford a custom home until we met with Tamlin. They helped us through all the building steps…… so we could work through the stages in an organized efficient way – and save money on construction.”
Jamie Montgomery, Richmond, B.C.
The following is a simplified list of construction materials, labour and other related building costs. The”big picture” is that all these individual costs add up. Some costs like our Tamlin package are fixed, but other costs may have to be budgeted using a reasonable estimate or “cost-plus” formula for construction.
- Construction permits
- Surveys, geotech (soils test)
- Land clearing and site preparation
- Temporary power
- Rough-in services
- Footing formwork
- Foundation or basement formwork
- Foundation damp proofing
- Floor framing
- Wall framing and sheathing
- Timber Frame assembly
- Roof framing and sheathing
- Roof finish
- Exterior doors and Windows
- Exterior sidings and exterior trim
- Barge, fascia, soffits
- Rough – in electrical
- Rough – in plumbing
- Heating and air conditioning system
- Wall and ceiling insulation
- Vapour barrier
- Interior drywall or other walls/ceiling finish
- Wall and ceiling paint, timber frame finish
- Balconies and decks
- Interior finishing
- Stairs and handrails
- Cabinets , vanities (kitchen, bathrooms)
- Floor finishes (hardwood, tile, etc)
- Final concrete slabs (basement, garage, patios)
- Exterior paint and touch up
- Final Plumbing
- Final Electrical
- Final Interior Finishes (window coverings, baseboards)
- Inspections (at various stages of construction)