The Roof System – Tamlin Home Packages
The roof system is one of the most challenging areas to design, when all factors are considered such as engineering and structural issues, timber frame design, building architecture, roof finish, ventilation, moisture protection, type of insulation, installation and maintenance.
Tamlin’s “hybrid” approach to designing roof systems is one of our distinct advantages. We will come up with the optimal design solution to your project, which often saves costs of materials and installation. Every house is different and may involve the integration of one or more roof systems.
- Tamlin’s hybrid timber frame roof typically combines a timber frame structure within a conventionally hand-framed framed roof and we can also provide a traditional timber rafter system
- Other roof systems include pre-made engineered trusses, “I” joists and structural insulated panels (SIP’s) depending upon your design
- Roof finishing packages are available, such as our 50-year metal roofing which includes pre-cut standing seam, “hidden fastener” metal panels, flashings, hardware, roof vents and roof underlay, all shipped to your site with your home package
- Every Tamlin roof is engineered and often includes structural steel hardware and connectors and “hidden” structural beams, such as ganglam, glulam, LVL and parrallam components
- There are advantages and disadvantages to each style of roof system:
- A conventionally framed roof system over timber frame allows for simple electrical and insulation installation. Recessed lighting can be used and high efficiency insulation can be “sprayed” or installed as batts
- A structural insulated roof system with pre-made panels is very fast to construct and energy efficient. However the panels can be costly, must be exacting (for electrical) and are bulky to transport
- An engineered truss roof system is very cost effective and fast to assemble.
- Each roof system has its own advantages for insulation such as “EPS” (rigid), spray foam (open and closed cell), batt insulation (stone fibre “Roxul” and fiberglass)
“The advice you gave us in the use of particular construction materials was very helpful and went beyond the knowledge of the architect and other advisers we were using…”
Marc and Dee Shoen, California