Building a New Home is One of the Biggest Investments in a Lifetime
Having the Right Builder can make all the Difference!
Here are some helpful hints when considering the contractor of choice:
1) Check current building projects in the area and throughout your area – What have they worked on?
2) Drive out to a project and look around ie: Talk to the trades people about the reputation of the builder, talk to the homeowners, talk to the neighbours about how the process has looked from their perspective.
3) Does the builder have any memberships to building organizations including the CHBA? (Canadian Home Builders Association or local chapters). All reputable builders should be members of some professional organizations within their industry.
4) Check their company website for testimonials, latest pictures, current phone numbers and a real office address. There are lots of builders that don’t have a fancy building, however, the reputable ones will at the very least, have a comfortable meeting place to discuss your house plans at.
5) How long has this company been in business? Longevity should matter. If your builder is brand new, ask why? Have they closed a previous business and reinvented themselves? Staying in business can be tough in an industry that is ever changing and at the mercy of the economy. How a company handles themselves in tough times can speak to the integrity and stability of that company. Is the business a sole proprietorship or an established limited company?
6) Do they hold proper insurance & warranties, such as the HPO warranty? All construction companies must adhere to certain rules within the industry. They must hold adequate HPO (Homeowners Protection Office) coverage and be able to register your build with the adequate Course of Construction Insurance as well.
7) Are there any claims, judgments pending or court cases going on with them? Check the BBB for any claims or complaints about the company.
8) Ask for a written list of building references & personally contact a few. Any builder that is honest will be able to readily supply you with some recent projects and the owners numbers to call. All projects can have hiccups, and things don’t always go as planned, however, how the builder handles obstacles can speak volumes to their ethics and integrity. In the end, Tamlin simply wants you, as a homeowner, to be pleased with the process and have the home of your dreams. A home that is built well, is beautiful and is exactly what you asked for!
Yes, Tamlin meets all of the above! Please contact us for more information.