Green Building- Tamlin Custom Home Packages
One of the biggest trends today in construction is the move to “building green”. There are numerous
factors to consider when trying to build green and the advantages to the environment are clear.
Features and Benefits of a Built-Green Home
- energy efficient insulation in walls, ceilings, and foundation systems
- energy efficient windows and doors – argon gas, low–E glass,and high insulated construction
- energy efficient lighting, appliances, and fixtures
- natural materials – such as wood, stone, and western red cedar shingles
- passive solar design, such as south facing larger windows
- organic spray foam insulation or mineral rock wool insulation
- large covered entryways,covered decks or overhangs for shade and exterior siding protection
- use of native plants and controlled watering systems, and trees as shade
- efficient heating cooling and ventilation equipment
- use of geothermal or solar power
- low VOC (volatile organic compounds) in stains, paints, finishes for better indoor air quality
- factory built components including trusses, pre-hung doors, pre-finished sidings, and prefabricated wood components (such as hybrid timber frame construction)
- wood from sustainable forests
- engineered wood products such as LVL, glulam, parallam, TJI, OSB
- engineered hardwood flooring, factory stained, low VOC
- recycled composite wood decking, trim, roofing, etc
- water conserving features in low flow toilets, shower and sink faucet aerators
How can Tamlin help to decide which green decisions are the right ones?
While green building is of paramount importance to our future, reality is that most projects will try to incorporate an optimal level of green concepts. Tamlin will help provide direction to balance green needs with budget and design requirements. For example geothermal energy is extremely energy efficient, but the “payback” for installation may not suit a small cottage. Furthermore there is usually more than one way to achieve the same green benefit, just better ways of building which could be a combination of materials, and installation methods. We can help here.